All the nursing courses in India are regulated by the Indian Nursing Council. This council is a statutory body and it regulates all the nursing courses in India. No individual can consider themselves to be a nurse unless they complete their nursing course in an institution recognized by the Indian Nursing Council (INC).
Recognition and affiliation
There are various courses run by different institutions that are recognized by the INC. Before you join any nursing course, you need to find out if the course is affiliated to the Indian Nursing Council. Other than this affiliation, you should also check if the course is recognized by an university. If both these affiliations are up to date, then you can safely join the nursing course in the institution.
Distance – Regular education
There are some nursing institutions that attract some people with a distance education and nursing degree. The fact is that the regular courses are the ones that have validity. Indian nursing council does not recognize a distance education degree. So, it may be worthless for you to complete your nursing education in such a course. You will not be able to get a proper job when you complete your education through distance education. This is because of the fact that nursing course has a lot of requirements that include hands on practice. If you do not complete these requirements, you will not be able to obtain a proper job.
Eligibility criteria for various levels of courses
The eligibility for various courses recognized by the Indian Nursing Council is very important. Imagine that the course that you opt for is not recognized. All the time, effort and money you spend in completing the course will be a waste. You will not be able to obtain a job anywhere in India. It is also not possible to apply for nursing registration in any of the State Nursing Councils.
It also means that you will not be able to go abroad and work. Registration in the nursing council is necessary for you to work. This registration with the nursing council is only possible if you are eligible to join the course. Only with recognition from the nursing council will it be possible for you to go abroad and work. If the institution where you join is recognized by the Indian Nursing Council, you can register yourself as a nurse.
Auxiliary Nurse & Midwife (A. N. M.)
• Minimum age for the admission should be 17 years, by the last day of the year of admission.
• Maximum age for candidates admission is 35 years.
• Educational qualification for eligibility is 10 + 2 . The candidate should pass out from a recognized Board.
• Medical fitness is mandatory for eligibility.
General Nursing & Midwifery (GNM)
• Age should be between 17 and 35. If you are a qualified ANM / MPHW, there is no age limit in most of the institutions.
• Education completion at 10 + 2 level with an aggregate of 40%. You should have studied with Science and English as preferred subjects. (Some institutes require you to have 45% marks)
• 10 + 2 passed from any recognized school educational boards in India or their equivalent abroad.
• ANM’s should be registered with the respective state nursing councils to be eligible for admissions.
B. Sc (Nursing)
• The age of the candidate should be at least 17 for entry into this course
• 10 + 2 passed with Science (Physics – Chemistry – Biology) and English as subjects. An aggregate of 45% marks is necessary
• Medical fitness is necessary for entry into B. Sc (Nursing)
• Candidates who are registered with the Indian nursing council as registered Nurse and Registered midwife. If you have a General Nurse and Midwife certificate, you are eligible to join the Post Basic B. Sc (Nursing).
M. Sc (Nursing)
• The applicant should be registered with any of the State nursing Councils in India.
• A pass in B. Sc (Nursing), Post Basic (Nursing) course with an aggregate of 55% marks
• At least one year of work experience is necessary after completion of the B. Sc (Nursing) / Post Basic (Nursing) course
Are you confused and do not know if a nursing course is recognized? You can write to us through the emails provided and we will provide you the details. For more information about the eligibility criteria and recognition of courses, visit the Indian nursing council website. You can also subscribe to our newsletter to get regular updates about the various nursing courses available and their eligibility criteria.
How to know of any change in eligibility criteria for nursing courses?
All changes in the eligibility criteria for any nursing course is first announced in the website of the Indian Nursing Council. So, if you need to know of any changes immediately, you need to check the INC website. It is important to keep tabs on the updates provided in the INC website. We have provided the link to the INC website in this article.